10 May 2011

life as we know it.

My life has been filled with lots-o-joys of late.

My parents and brother came and visited, we gallivanted around both Houston and Austin and it was a grand time to see some people that I really love. The weather here has been getting HOT HOT HOT. and my community has been splendid.

Many great joys came from the JVC South silent retreat that all the Texas Jesuit Volunteers attended last week. It was an incredible experience... very fulfilling and surprising that I could stay quiet from Monday to Thursday (alert the press). What an awesome experience that I feel would be very hard to be repeated. The time was filled with... prayer, reflection, relaxation, sun, spiritual direction, journaling , reading, listening etc.

We also all go our own rooms with sinks! and windows! and mine had TWO beds!

Ok to be honest... I didn't really like silent retreat... I LOVED it... who knew the girl who doesn't like alone time and loves to talk and laugh would love the sacred space on retreat... there are some surprises in life. I liked it so much I even missed or came late to some of the "required activities" which is a bit weird for me because I'm a bit detail oriented.
 But honestly... I was just completely enjoying the whole shabang!!

I thought I would share some of a list(see previous link/video) I made on retreat entitled...

The little things that generate joy:

  • snail mail
  • a well thought out music playlist
  • unexpected free time
  • getting more freckles
  • sleeping in
  • unhindered sneezing
  • loud music
  • snuggling
  • a pedicure
  • remembering all the things on your to-do list
  • success in a new hobby
  • when you have dried paint on your hands
  • waving at someone from your window
  • a weekend at a lakehouse
  • applicable understanding of a new word
  • when you have an itch and someone scratches it
  • when you meet someone and you have friends in common
  • a new set of markers
  • when a new song has a great beat
  • when someone serves a meal that you like
  • grilled cheese
  • a good run
  • thinking about something at night and remembering it in the morning
  • inside jokes
  • booking a flight
  • an afternoon nap
  • finishing a painting
  • missing someone but knowing you will see them soon
  • hearing a laugh you love
  • a voicemail or email from someone you've been waiting to call
  • finding the prefect gift for someone
  • liquids when you are thirsty
  • giggling at an old memory
  • a song that fits your mood
  • winking

Well friends... just thought I would share some of my joys... they certainly are NOT limited to that list.


That's all she wrote.

1 comment: