01 July 2012

big wheels keep on (wood) turning.

That is a wrap on all those weekend DIY adventures. 

And now for something completely different

AND

incredibly awesome.

A few weeks ago I took a wood turning class. 

To learn more (Wikipedia) about wood turning click here.

The class was 9 hours (yikes). but don't worry the teacher took a lot of smoke breaks. 

We state with a block of huckberry wood. I didn't take starting picture BUT it basically was a stump of wood, bark and all. 

We affixed it to the lathe (gotta love using a drill) and got turning. The first goal was to make it a more even cylinder by taking off all the bark etc.

This is it when I had made some progress.

This is a lathe.
After a lot of turning, flipping the bowl and turning the inside, we had a finished product!



I just loved the whole experience. And I am trying to figure out how/if I can continue this potential hobby!

No comments:

Post a Comment