27 June 2012

the bookshelf project

This project was quiet the headache. At first I simply wanted to re-do some Ikea furniture. So I went where everyone should go... blog land research!

I got some tips from:

The Purple Pea

and

Apartment Therapy 

and a lot of help from my dad!


And I got to work. Sadly, this project became very stressful and success is still pending.


It all started with a wonky primer.

this is what primer should NOT do.

stupid primer.
The people at Home Dept were SHOCKED at the bad primer. So this resulted in me having to acetone/scrape off the bad primer and start over with new primer ($$).

In the end I got the primer on and dry... Day two I started to paint (I even experimented with my air compressor).
That was an adventure.
And in the end I completed two book shelves. They are still curing so I won't use them until Friday.

The first one probably looked something like this in it's former life (see below).

courtesy of flickr
Only mine was a tan wood color.

And now it looks something like this:
oh. ah.
This navy blue one was a real pain in the but. The rollers weren't working. The paint was really sick. And I was ready to throw in the towel (don't judge... I didn't even purchase this bookshelf it was passed along to me).

But hopefully it will be fine by Friday and ready to hold my cards and goodies in my room.

The bigger project was the overhaul on something that probably originally looked like this:

ikea.com
But we wanted it to match our bulletin board...

bulletin board (duh).
So this is the new bookshelf!

Again, now I am just waiting for these suckers to dry/"cure" and hopefully they will be back in action holding our movies and book collection!

Summary in numbers:

Quarts of primer purchased: 3 (when only 1 should have been needed)
Shelves total: 5
Rrollers: 3 (should have bought more)
Blisters trying to open acetone container: 3
Times I called home: 11
Times I cried: 6

No comments:

Post a Comment