28 June 2012

refinishing the coffee table..

This was actually the project that started it all...I wanted to rework this table a little bit since it had seen some better days.

It is totally real wood so that made the finishing a bit harder but still exciting.

table before... see the wear and tear.

lots of splotches.
My dad gave me the four step process:
#1: Sand (200 or 300 grit).
#2: Use a tack rag (I had never heard of one but now I LOVE it
#3: Stain... I used Minwax Early American... you just take a rag and wipe it on, let sit for 15 minutes and wipe off anything that hasn't absorbed. 
#4: Finish it... I used Minwax wipe on poly! 


So in the end, it isn't perfect but I was able to minimize the splotches... or at least try and match the finishes a bit more that it was.
after.

   
fter.

No comments:

Post a Comment