23 August 2010

baptism by fire..

Isn't that what they call it... well at least that is what it feels like!
I am on my fourth day at my placement and starting my first full week and life is hectic to say the least. My position for JVC is new this year and the office I now work in, the Corporate Work Study Office, just had two people leave and I am replacing them. Thus things are all the more hectic as I am doing the work of two people AND I'm brand new to all this stuff. 

Some updates and ruminations on life thus far....
  • having a ton of extra beds in your house is fantastic when the only people you know in a city are a whole house full of new JVCs as well.. after a great friday night we had a massive double house sleepover followed by a brunch! The pancakes really brought me back to "Pancakes and Pregames" prior to BC football games
  • people are really welcoming in houston... thank you random people at Bar 5015... for letting us know that we are going to be "ok" with our new transition to living in TX
  • bunt cakes... rarely go over well (should have known this from my big fat greek wedding) our JVC sponsor parent who helps us if we need anything brought over a bunt cake on our first day which was 8 days ago... and we still have it. however over the weekend one of the other houston house members simply put her whole hand in it and grabbed out a bunch during our festivities.  what remains of the bunt cake sits on top of our refrigerator. 
  • after having a lazy weekend of hanging out and relaxing i decided to go for a run on sunday. at 1pm. during the heat advisory. lets just say lesson learned. I thought I was going to die.
  • I am still certainly not used to be called "Ms. Niemer" 
  • and Ill leave you with this scary fact.... tomorrow I am chaperoning... (read: responsible for students!?!?!) a trip to Texas A&M for the students to check out the college
    • this day will also be a hell day as the buses leave at 6 a.m. and return at 6 p.m. and then starting at 7 p.m. we have meet the parents meeting till who knows when... AHHH
that's all she wrote.

    1 comment: