10 August 2010

Houston, I arrived with no problem.

Oh the places you go.... And now I am really here in Houston. I thought I'd do a quick update before reality sets in and I meet up with all the other JVs.

So where am I right now... In Houston IAH near the baggage claim and where people get picked up.

Where am I supposed to be... The level below me where all the Jesuit volunteers (JVs) are slowly gathering or at least i think but since I am hiding up here I cannot be sure.

Our bus doesn't leave for another three hours so I thought I'd take advantage of these simple moments and be on my own before I jump right into community, service, social justice and simple living.

My day started at 4am when my body decided it was going to awake from all the none sleeping it had done. By 5 my mom and dad were up and we headed to the Milwaukee airport for my 7:25 flight. I annoyingly waited for 45 mintues to just check in and made two friends... One who was nervous as she had never flown before and had a lot of questions and the other who helped console and yelled at the Midwest agents for only helping certain lines check in.. Naturally these were the lines we weren't in. Eventually the nervous Nancy saved the day as she snuck into a VIP line and then let me skip her. Ah what a beautiful blessing.

I ran to my gate and was the last person in the plane and was in Dallas by ten. Three hours of layoverness was awfully boring but we boarded at 1 and after a 56 minutes of flight I landed in Houston.

Here I met a drunk fellow by the name of Neil. He asked me where I was flying to and from and when I answered I chuckled as I said this is my new "home"... Weird.

Once I come out of hiding I'll be off to orientation in pine hurst tx till the 15 and will then be back in Houston to get familiar with the city and I start my placement on the 18th.

More to come when things settle down...

That's all she wrote.

1 comment: