09 December 2011

we gots pots!

I took this 5 week long pottery class. I love the class, my studio mates and my final pieces. The first week we did hand building, the next few weeks were on the wheel, the second to last class was glazing... and in our last class we got our pieces back AND did a Raku firing.  Here are some pictures. Sadly I didn't take a picture of my final Raku piece... even though it was probably my favorite. Maybe I will post later!

Here is a video of what Raku firing is...



Here are some of the pictures I took of the process and my final pieces...

This is the Raku Kiln we used!


After the top was lifted up this is what our pieces looked like. We then used metal tongs to grab our piece and put them in a trash bin. The trash bin was filled with shredded newspaper so once the hot pot was in the bit, it erupted into flames!

You let the fire go for about 20 seconds and then smother it with the garbage pale lid. I didn't take a picture of my final RAKU piece but it was by far my favorite. Below are some of the other pieces I made!
I am tempted to take the next class!

No comments:

Post a Comment