01 June 2011

I am ALL for preventing type II diabetes....

So I went for a swim at the YMCA. You know getting ready for this TRI that I signed up for that is rolling around the corner to THIS WEEKEND.

So I am doing my own thing. Getting ready for a swim.

And just to share with you a few of the "trails and tribulations" that occurred "pre-swim"
  • How does one wear a swim cap?

    • I haven't worn one of these thing-a-ma-bobbers in ages (esp since I have long hair now)... Do I put it on with wet or dry hair?
    • So I called my swimming friends... Ashley (fellow JV) didn't answer her phone and Kavitha (college roommate) who responded via text (studying in library) that I could try either
  • Why are couples in bikinis and board shorts always swimming in lanes, flirting, kissing, making out, NOT SWIMMING and taking of my training space?
  • Why do kids need to learn to swim when I want to train? (the world will never know the answer to this question).
Ah woe is me.

So I finally figure out a lane I could swim in. I have to ask the life guard if the lane (with no one and no children in it... is being used as the sign that no one took done says... "reserved for swimming lessons"...(little know fact... I don't mind sharing a lane BUT I have yet to ask someone to share... I am usually in swim-oblivion and someone taps me shoulder and asks to join).

Ok so here I am swimming along... I've swam a half mile (which is the swim length in my sprint-tri) and I am trying to decide if I want to do another half or cool down. As I am swimming along this chubby little chubster of a kid keeps swimming under the rope from the kiddie pool area into my lane.

I keep swimming back and forth and chubbie-mc-chubster keeps floating on by every time I swim back.

and then I realize he is trying to speak to me!


I get to the end of the lane and pop by swim cap skull out of the water to see what he wants... "Miss Miss can me and my buddy share a lane with you." 

What am I supposed to do. Say No... to a kid who probably doesn't get much exercise and apparently parental supervision?

So chubby, skinny-scrawny-tiny friend and I "just keep swimming." (the scrawny buddy leaves after a few laps)...

10 more laps and the kid has popped into my (half) lane so apparently he's decided we should switch sides. 2 more laps and he realizes the error of his ways so taps me to ask which lane we should continue to swim in.

Also something of note.... Chubberman isn't swimming front, breast or back stroke... he has chosen what I decided to call "octopus float" in which he swims backwards and propels his flabs by opening his arms and legs wide and then pushing them forward as if giving a hug.

So the next time someone accuses me of advocating FOR type II diabetes.. (an accusation that has never actually occurred) I will recall the time I took an active stance against Childhood Obesity by letting chubbers swim like an octopus.








p.s. also people still like me even though I turned 23 yesterday!

No comments:

Post a Comment