13 September 2010

good things come in threes...

or maybe I should rewrite that as "free things come in threes"... as this weekend has been speckled with some FREE blessings

1. I really wanted to go on this adventure to this place I had heard of called "Texas Junk Company" known for their vast selection of cowboy boots and only open on Saturdays... naturally not the Saturday that my roommate Alex and I attempted to go but our 5 mile walk (2.5 there and back) in the blazing heat was not done without reward. On our return we stopped in a shoe and accessory shop... where we were greeted with not only air conditioning but also MIMOSAS! I don't totally understand why they had a pitcher of the delicious drank but I wasn't going to question. Cheers to Karen and Yolanda for being so generous with your Saturday merriment.

2. coming from the city of festivals (milwaukee!) the Houston Oktoberfest hosted by the Muesuem of Fine Arts pales in comparison to the vast Summerfest grounds of Milwaukee's lakefront... however watch out Milwaukee, this tiny festival located in the outside walkway to the museum has got you beat in terms of free beverages.  All the free beer and wine you can drink from tiny cups that you are willing to wait in line for... Needless to say the afternoon ended in my roommate Emily and I dancing an Australian dance with 5-9 year olds. 
 This is my roommate Emily and I with our tiny glasses of champagne (pre-dancing with the children).

3. Ok so now for a free thing that does NOT involved alcohol... and this one is the goofiest of the three...So on Sunday I went on another sweaty adventure this time to Half Priced Books... where the most colorful of people are often present.. I was searching around the bookshelves (definitely not looking for the last book in the Twilight series) when I came across a man (lets say in his late 50s) who was sitting on the floor looking through a shelf of books.  I chuckled as I overheard him talking to himself as he was trying to find a novel. He responded asking my if I was laughing at him because a grown man was sitting on the ground (well, really I was laughing at him because he was talking to himself). He went on to explain he was trying to determine the book of this favorite mystery author of his he had yet to read.  We talked about mysteries (which I explained I do not usually read) and then I went along my search (certainly not for Breaking Dawn) Maybe ten minutes later, my old friend joins me once again with a proposition... He said he would buy me a book if in exchange I would email him and tell him what I thought. I gladly accepted.


Alas, I am one happy (mimosa, beer and wine drinking, Vince Flynn novel reading) girl.

That's all she wrote.

(until I send my book review).

No comments:

Post a Comment