26 January 2012

adventures of creating a giant community art project!



Last Friday we had a special "President's Reception" to celebrate all our wonderful donors. The theme was "Halls of Thunder" and everything was comic book themed! 

They had giant cut outs of superheros, cookies that had comic book action words, the invites were a comic strip... comic comic comics!

This event was held on our campus and was set up to showcase what goes on at the school/in the class rooms!

Even the art room!

So I created a special project for the night. I needed to create something that would be easy/not intimidating for people to do AND something that could be done while socializing. After some brainstorming I was brought back to my own high school days where I created a painting of a Roy Lichtenstein print.
Hanging in my childhood bedroom!
I decided to make a paint by numbers/coloring book canvas for people to paint. 


I looked at some old comic book covers and combined a few ideas to sketch out my came plan.
Then I bought a GIANT (5x3) canvas to put it on.... I measured to make SURE it would fit in my car.... but it didn't!
This was my final sketch.
I blew it up to put it on the canvas and then painted/sharpied  the outline image.

Then I painted a few of the sections so people wouldn't be intimated!
A few students who were around for the evening painted a few parts!

Then the pressure was on! (those lamps got a bit hot)!

Work in progress...

Some of the background Dots AND check out how AWESOME this woman is.... She was so into it she sat on the floor!
Mrs. Burns!

Mr. Walsh!

It is pretty much done by the end of the night!

Each artist got to sign their for their artwork!

I touched it up a bit (with a fellow student artist, Victoria) and now it is complete!











No comments:

Post a Comment